If you live in the Portland area and are looking for a quick and fun summer trip, Seaside, Oregon, is a fantastic destination. After several summer trips here, I have some great tips for taking kids to Seaside, Oregon.
What are some of the great reasons for taking kids to Seaside, Oregon?
Seaside, Oregon, offers a great white sand beach with calm surf and the added safety of lifeguards. There are a wide variety of lodging choices available right near the beach, plus plenty of other dining and entertainment options near the shore to keep the whole family happy.
Taking kids to Seaside, Oregon can be an exciting and memorable experience for the whole family. With its stunning beaches, charming promenade, and family-friendly attractions, Seaside offers a wealth of activities to keep children of all ages entertained.
Planning a successful trip with kids requires some preparation and consideration. After several summer trips here I can provide you with valuable tips and suggestions to make the most of your time in Seaside, ensuring a fun-filled family adventure that will create lasting memories.
Some great reasons for taking kids to Seaside, Oregon
One of the great things about Seaside is that it is so close to Portland. It also offers so much to do and so many places to stay that it can be a multi-day destination. This makes Seaside a great place to visit for just an afternoon or for a few days.
Something to keep in mind when planning a multi-day trip is where to stay. You can choose luxury hotels, more affordable motels, home and condo rentals, and even campsites. As you move farther from the beach, you will find more affordable options. Keep in mind that on busier days, driving to the beach area from where you are staying can present parking challenges.
If you are just going for the day make sure you plan age-appropriate activities, pack accordingly, plan on a place to park, and make a list of the things you want to see and do while you are in Seaside preferably BEFORE you hit the road. It is a great idea if you go this route to get an early start. There is a large parking lot near the beach, but it fills up quickly. Street parking is also available, but this can be a long search if you arrive during busy times.
Plan Age-Appropriate Activities When Taking Kids to Seaside, Oregon
When planning your trip to Seaside, it’s essential to consider the ages and interests of your children. Seaside offers a variety of activities suitable for kids of all ages.
For younger children, beachcombing, sand castle building, flying kites, and exploring tide pools can be exciting adventures. Older kids may enjoy bike rides along the promenade, trying out water sports, or visiting the local arcades.
Research and create an itinerary that includes a mix of activities appealing to your children’s age groups.
Pack Essentials when taking kids to Seaside, Oregon
To ensure a comfortable and enjoyable trip, make sure to pack essential items. Sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and swimsuits are must-haves for beach days.
Don’t forget to bring towels, beach toys, and a beach umbrella for shade. It’s also a good idea to pack extra clothing, as kids tend to get wet and sandy quickly.
Snacks, water bottles, and a small cooler will keep your little ones hydrated and energized throughout the day.
Explore the Seaside Promenade
A visit to Seaside wouldn’t be complete without exploring the famous Seaside Promenade, affectionately known as the Prom. This 1.5-mile paved path offers stunning ocean views and a variety of family-friendly attractions.
Rent bikes or surreys from one of the rental shops and embark on a leisurely family ride along the promenade. Stop by the numerous shops and restaurants along the way, allowing your kids to indulge in some seaside treats or shop for souvenirs.
Visit the Seaside Carousel Mall
The Seaside Carousel Mall is a must-visit destination for families. Inside, you’ll find a beautifully restored carousel featuring hand-painted animals. Take a ride on this whimsical carousel and let your children choose their favorite animal to ride.
Afterward, explore the mall’s unique shops and boutiques, offering a wide range of gifts, toys, and local crafts. The Seaside Carousel Mall provides a delightful experience for kids and adults alike.
Enjoy Indoor Attractions
In case of inclement weather or if you’re seeking a break from the sun, Seaside offers various indoor attractions suitable for children. The Funland Entertainment Center and the Seaside Family Fun Park are two popular destinations that provide hours of entertainment.
These indoor amusement centers feature a wide array of games, activities, and rides, guaranteeing endless fun for kids of all ages. From arcade games to bumper cars and mini-golf, these attractions offer a perfect way to keep your little ones entertained and engaged.
Take a Day Trip When Taking Kids to Seaside, Oregon
While Seaside itself has plenty to offer, consider taking a day trip to nearby attractions to enhance your family’s adventure. The Tillamook Cheese Factory is a short drive away and provides a fascinating and educational experience for children. Explore the factory’s interactive exhibits, watch the cheese-making process, and sample delicious dairy products.
Another nearby destination is the Astoria Column, where kids can climb to the top and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding area. These day trips add diversity to your itinerary and are especially nice on multi-day visits.
The Nicest Places To Stay When Taking Kids To Visit Seaside, Oregon
When visiting Seaside, Oregon, there are several wonderful places to stay that offer comfort, convenience, and proximity to the beach and local attractions. Here are some of the nicest places to consider:
- The Seaside Oceanfront Inn: This beachfront hotel offers stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and direct access to the beach. The rooms are spacious, well-appointed, and many feature balconies or patios overlooking the ocean. The hotel also provides amenities such as a heated indoor pool, hot tub, and complimentary continental breakfast.
- The Gilbert Inn: Located in a historic building, The Gilbert Inn provides a charming and elegant accommodation experience. The rooms are individually decorated with antique furnishings, creating a cozy and nostalgic atmosphere. Guests can enjoy the serene garden, relax in the common areas, and savor a homemade breakfast each morning.
- Rivertide Suites Hotel: Situated near the Necanicum River, Rivertide Suites Hotel offers spacious suites with separate living areas, full kitchens, and cozy fireplaces. The hotel features an indoor pool, hot tub, fitness center, and a complimentary continental breakfast. Its convenient location allows easy access to the beach and downtown Seaside.
- Ashore Hotel: A modern and stylish boutique hotel, Ashore Hotel provides contemporary accommodations with a coastal-inspired design. The rooms are tastefully decorated, and some offer partial ocean views. Guests can relax in the inviting common areas, including a courtyard with a fire pit. The hotel also offers complimentary beach cruiser bikes for exploring the area.
- Best Western Plus Ocean View Resort: Offering beautiful ocean views, the Best Western Plus Ocean View Resort provides comfortable rooms with private balconies or patios. The hotel features an indoor pool, hot tub, fitness center, and an on-site restaurant. It is conveniently located near the beach and within walking distance of downtown Seaside.
Budget-Friendly Lodging Options When Taking Kids to Seaside, Oregon
If you’re looking for budget-friendly lodging options in Seaside, Oregon, there are several accommodations that offer comfortable stays without breaking the bank. Here are some budget-friendly choices to consider:
- Shilo Inn Suites Hotel – Seaside Oceanfront: This hotel is located right on the beach and offers affordable rates for its oceanfront rooms. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and some include kitchenettes. Guests can enjoy amenities like an indoor pool, sauna, and complimentary continental breakfast.
- River Inn at Seaside: Situated near the Necanicum River, this budget-friendly hotel offers comfortable rooms at reasonable prices. The rooms are equipped with modern amenities, including microwaves and mini-fridges. The hotel features a heated indoor pool, hot tub, and complimentary continental breakfast.
- Seashore Inn on the Beach: This beachfront motel offers affordable rates and direct access to the sand. The rooms are simple but clean, with amenities such as mini-fridges and microwaves. Guests can enjoy the motel’s oceanfront deck and easy beach access.
- Ebb Tide Oceanfront Inn: Located on the Promenade, this budget-friendly inn offers rooms with ocean views at affordable prices. The rooms are basic but comfortable, and some include kitchenettes. Guests can relax on the inn’s oceanfront deck and enjoy the beach access.
- Inn at the Shore: Situated a short distance from the beach, this cozy inn provides affordable rates and a friendly atmosphere. The rooms are clean and comfortable, featuring amenities such as microwaves and mini-fridges. Guests can relax on the inn’s outdoor patio and enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast.
Tips for Finding Parking When Taking Kids to Seaside, Oregon
Finding parking in popular tourist destinations like Seaside, Oregon, can sometimes be a challenge. However, with a few helpful tips and strategies, you can make the parking process easier and more convenient. Here are some tips for finding parking when traveling to Seaside:
- Arrive early: To secure a parking spot, it’s best to arrive early in the day before the crowds start to fill up the parking areas. Early mornings or weekdays tend to be less busy, making it easier to find parking spaces.
- Utilize public parking lots: Seaside offers several public parking lots conveniently located near popular attractions and the beach. These lots typically require payment, but they provide a reliable option for finding parking. Look for signage or inquire at visitor centers about the locations and fees of these public parking lots.
- Consider off-site parking: If the main parking areas are full, consider using off-site parking options. Some businesses or private lots near the town center may offer paid parking, providing an alternative when public parking lots are crowded. Be sure to check the parking regulations and fees before parking in these areas.
- Street parking: Seaside has designated street parking spaces available throughout the town. Keep an eye out for metered parking spots and observe any time restrictions or fees associated with street parking. Remember to check the signage for any parking restrictions to avoid fines or towing.
- Park and walk: If you’re staying nearby or within walking distance of Seaside’s attractions, consider parking your vehicle at your accommodation and exploring the town on foot. This eliminates the hassle of finding parking spaces and allows you to enjoy the sights without worrying about your vehicle.
- Use alternative transportation: If you’re staying in the vicinity or within a short distance of Seaside, consider using alternative transportation options such as bicycles or public transportation. Biking is a popular mode of transportation in Seaside, and there are bike racks available for secure parking.
- Plan ahead and be patient: During peak seasons or busy weekends, parking may be more challenging to find. Plan your visit accordingly, allowing extra time for parking and being patient during the search. Maintain a positive attitude, and remember that finding a parking spot may require some perseverance.
What is camping like in Seaside, Oregon?
Camping in Seaside, Oregon offers a wonderful opportunity to immerse yourself in nature and enjoy the coastal beauty of the region. Seaside and its surrounding area have several campgrounds to choose from, each offering its unique features and amenities. Some popular campgrounds in the vicinity include the Nehalem Bay State Park, Fort Stevens State Park, Cannon Beach RV Resort, and the Circle Creek RV Resort.
What are some good dining options when taking kids to Seaside, Oregon?
When taking kids to Seaside, Oregon, you’ll find a variety of dining options that cater to families and offer kid-friendly menus. Here are some good dining options to consider:
- Pig ‘N Pancake: A popular family-friendly restaurant in Seaside, Pig ‘N Pancake offers a wide selection of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. They serve delicious pancakes, omelets, burgers, sandwiches, and seafood dishes. The kids’ menu features items like pancakes, French toast, chicken strips, and grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Bigfoot’s Steakhouse: This family-friendly steakhouse offers a relaxed atmosphere and a menu that includes a range of steak, seafood, and pasta dishes. They have a dedicated kids’ menu with options like chicken tenders, macaroni and cheese, and burgers.
- Dundees Bar & Grill: Located near the beach, Dundees Bar & Grill is a casual dining spot with a family-friendly ambiance. They serve a variety of dishes, including burgers, sandwiches, seafood, and salads. The kids’ menu features items like chicken strips, grilled cheese, and mini corn dogs.
- Maggie’s on the Prom: Situated on the Seaside Promenade, Maggie’s on the Prom offers a family-friendly environment with stunning ocean views. They serve a range of dishes, including seafood, burgers, sandwiches, and salads. The kids’ menu includes options like fish and chips, chicken strips, and spaghetti.
- Pizza Harbor: If your kids love pizza, Pizza Harbor is a great option. They offer a variety of pizza toppings and styles, as well as calzones, sandwiches, and salads. The casual and laid-back atmosphere makes it a comfortable place for families.